Nancy Chodorow and Eli Zaretsky
‘Psychoanalysis and Feminism’: Rejoinder to Wollheim
We would like to respond to Richard Wollheim’s review (nlr 93) of Juliet Mitchell’s Psychoanalysis and Feminism. The Left and the women’s movement traditionally reject Freud as a biological determinist. Mitchell’s book sought to redeem him by presenting a social and cultural reading of psychoanalytic theory. The basis of Wollheim’s criticism is that Mitchell overestimates ‘culture’ and ignores ‘biology’. According to him, human psychology is, in essence, biologically determined, and this is the basis of psychoanalytic theory.
Subscribe for just £36 and get free access to the archive
Please login on the left to read more or buy the article for £3
- Richard Wollheim: Psychoanalysis and Feminism
- Lacan Study Group: 'Psychoanalysis and Feminism'
- Richard Wollheim: Reply to Critics
- Christopher Lasch: The Freudian Left and Cultural Revolution
- Michele Barrett, Mary McIntosh: Narcissism and the Family: A Critique of Lasch
- Jacques Lacan: The Mirror-Phase as Formative of the Function of the I